In Which a Transglobal Juggernaut Arrives at Nepal Base Camp (aka Houston)
If one can fairly refer to preparatory activities for Project Cancel-Current-Life-and-Move-to-Nepal-Because-Why-The-Hell-Not as a “widening stream of madness,” (and let’s face it, one can), today the royal We floated within sight of the stream’s delta. The river has burst its banks, the current is now fully in control, there’s no reasonable escape remaining. Next stop? Open ocean (and more bad metaphors…get over it).
After awakening far too early–and for reasons which remain unclear, the day went something like this:
- Regret guilting folks into gifting quite so many rounds of Lagavulin 16-year
- Consolidate remaining possessions into a handful of containers, load them into Delta Queen (Steamboat, Nissan Maxima, same difference)
- Say “hasta luego” to Landlord Zach, the Demented Carpenter (no inappropriate Easter references implied or expressed)
- Subsequently depart safe haven of Casa ZLew, as bourbon-sipping proprietor disappears off the DQ’s port bow
- Re-ceiVe typOgraphically ew-nEEk comment…full O LUV and huGZ 😉 xOxO…from mysterious, sunset-conjuring sorceress known as “Baby Doll.” Attempt repression of unmanly instinct to cry quietly into…
- …my final Quad Espresso from my local SBUX
- Make parting sojourn to Uncle Bob’s–the oddly-named storage facility wherein all vestiges of my material possessions lie entombed. After a bit of arranging and nostalgic lingering, the final slamming of the door was multiply resonant. I mean, really…who takes pictures of piles of boxes (other than me, that is)?
- Drive away from the DFW Metroplex–my home for the last 9 years (the longest I’ve lived anywhere as an adult humanoid)– for the last time until…?
And now I write from Houston, where the next 2.5 days will be spent with family and some of my oldest friends, because if one is gonna kick oneself in the emotional junk, why not do it Gangnam Style?!
Now it’s time for a bit of sleep so that tomorrow I can rise again, refreshed. Y’know…like that other guy.